As you may know, Instructure updates and repairs Canvas every few weeks. Here are some highlights from last weekend’s update:
Conversations Updates (Beta Version)
Assignment Comments Do Not Appear in Inbox
Comments from assignments in SpeedGrader and the Gradebook no longer appear in the new Conversations Inbox. In the coming months Notifications will be improved for greater course-level management.
Reply to All Users Regardless of Enrollment Status
Users can reply to all conversation participants regardless of their enrollment status.
- The bulk message option will no longer appear when replying or forwarding a message.
- The To field scrolls to allow viewing of multiple recipients.
- The archive and unarchive features display separate icons.
Email Reply Functionality from External Email Clients
If a user receives an email notification and replies to a conversation from their email client, the incoming mail processor will only send the conversation reply to the conversation’s author. This change is specifically relevant for those who distribute group messages. Users responding to Conversations within Canvas are not affected.
About the New Conversations
The new Conversations was introduced as an opt-in feature as part of the 9/14 release. To try Conversations, click the question icon and select the Try New Conversations option. You can switch back to the old Conversations at any time. Click the question icon and select the Switch Back to Old Conversations option.
Grade One Quiz Question at a Time in SpeedGrader™
Instead of grading quizzes by student within SpeedGrader™, instructors can choose to grade quizzes by quiz question. This feature is especially helpful for grading essay and short answer quiz questions.
Note: Question grading is an opt-in feature. To try question grading, open the SpeedGrader settings link and click the Grade by question (beta) checkbox.
- The Add Due Date button can be read by screen readers.
- When used with a screen reader, the View Rubric button will focus at the beginning of the rubric area.
- Table header markup within Rubrics has been corrected for screen readers.
- Select menus for matching questions have labels, which is identified as the text that precedes the select menu.
- Quiz answer items are ordered more naturally for screen readers.
- Answer indicators are identified by screen readers.
- Icons in the new question tab have been labeled with alt text.
- Keyboard navigation order is the same as the visual navigation order.
Users can access the Group tab for Collaborations.
Conversations (Beta Version)
- When replying to a message in Conversations, the message will only be sent to the message author.
- To limit the vertical length of the message recipient list, the To field will enable vertical scrolling once the recipient list is longer than 5 lines.
- Instructors can access future courses, both published and unpublished.
- The Courses & Groups tab directs to the courses list.
When a user uploads a file to a discussion reply, the file will be associated with the user’s files, not the course files.
Canvas displays an error message for grade entries in SpeedGrader, the Gradebook, and Assignment submission pages longer than 255 characters.
- When using the “message students who” feature in the Gradebook, Canvas will send separate messages to each student.
- Test student scores and submissions no longer factor into course analytics.
Integration with Facebook has been updated so that Canvas Facebook users can receive Facebook notifications.
- Published quizzes can be deleted, even if they are associated with student submissions.
- Popup window no longer appears when inserting a negative number in a formula quiz question.
- The Quiz IP address filter correctly returns search results for institutions that use account level IP addresses.
- If a quiz is auto-submitted because of a time limit, Canvas will submit the quiz completely so it can be moderated by the instructor.
The Mute link in SpeedGrader correctly mutes and unmutes assignments.
Other Canvas Updates
Canvas now supports German and Polish.
When sending notifications and bounce replies, Canvas includes the Auto-Submitted header in the outgoing message to indicate computer-generated messages.
If you’d like to see all the gory details, check out: https://help.instructure.com/entries/22766889-11-16-13-Canvas-Production-Release-Notes-Featuring-More-Beta-Conversations-Updates-and-Grade-One-Qui
Next product update is December 7th!