Lab and Kiosk Printing Guide
Emerson College labs and print kiosks provide users with access to black & white and color laser printers and photo inkjet printers. Here is information to help you take full advantage of these resources:
You can print to lab and kiosk printers from the one of our workstations or from your own computer.
When you choose File > Print at a lab or kiosk workstation, you will be able to select from the printers available at that location. Be sure to pick the correct type of printer for your needs, as prices vary.
When you have finished making selections in the print dialog, click Print or OK to send your job to the Print Release Station near the printer. Swipe your Emerson ID (or building access or ECcash card, where applicable) at this station and use the touch screen to select your print job. Then press Print to send the job to the printer, where it will print out momentarily.
- If you would like to use your own paper, labels, transparencies, etc. in the laser printers, please visit the I.T. Help Desk or see the lab assistant.
- You must have your Emerson ID when you print. This is the only method accepted for print payment.
- Always log out of the Print Release Station when you're done. You will be charged for any prints made from the station while you are logged in.
- If you need any assistance while printing, see the lab assistant or call the I.T. Help Desk at ext. 8080.
Each semester, $5.00 of printing credit is added to your Emerson ID. ECcash is used to pay for any additional printing. Professional Studies and Special Programs students will have $5.00 of printing credit attached to their building access cards.
Printing costs vary by the type of printer used and the size of the paper being printed on. Double-sided (or duplex) laser prints cost the same as single-sided prints.
|Paper size||Black & white laser||Color laser|
|letter-size sheet (8.5" x 11")||$0.07||$0.50|
|tabloid-size sheet (11" x 17")*
*available in APL, WPL, & XML
Double-sided printing (duplexing) is available on all lab and kiosk grayscale laser printers and the color laser printers in the APL, WPL, and XML. Duplexing saves both paper and money, as each double-sided sheet still costs the same as a single-sided sheet.
To print duplex, you must set it in the print dialog. See below for detailed instructions on how to do this from a Macintosh or Windows computer. These instructions are also available in a printable PDF.
- Choose File > Print and select a printer from the Printer drop-down menu.
- If necessary, click the disclosure triangle to show additional options headed by a third drop-down menu.
- Select Layout from this third drop-down menu.
- Set the Two-Sided drop-down to Long-edge binding. This will set the printer to print on both sides of the sheet.
Note: When printing from your own computer, you may need to enable this option before printing. Do this by selecting the printer in the Print & Fax System Preferences pane, clicking Options & Supplies, checking the Duplex Unit box under the Driver tab, and clicking OK.
- Click Print when you are finished changing the rest of your settings.
- Choose File > Print and select the printer you wish to use from the Name drop-down menu.
- Click on the button or link for Properties, Printer Properties, or Preferences near the printer selection menu.
- In the Properties window that appears, select the Finishing tab.
- Underneath Document Options, check Print on both sides.
- Click OK to return to the main print dialog, and click OK again to print once you have finished changing the rest of your settings.
For your convenience, you can print from your laptop or desktop computer with the printers in the computer labs, kiosks, or Library. These steps will guide you through adding these printers to your computer. Once you have done so, see the lab printing steps at the top of this page. Below you will find files and instructions for the following operating systems:
Please note that print jobs will only be available at the Print Release Station for two hours after they are sent to the printer. Some computer labs host classes during the day. To avoid disturbing a class, we recommend printing to the APL, XML, or to Print Kiosks.
- Download the disk image for your OS X version:
10.9, 10.8, 10.7 or 10.6 - Mavericks/Mountain Lion/Lion Print Scripts
10.6 only - Snow Leopard Print Scripts
10.5 - Leopard Print Scripts
- Double-click to mount the disk image (Mavericks and Mountain Lion (10.9 and 10.8) users see Steps 3 and 4)
- FOR MAVERICKS and MOUNTAIN LION (10.9 and 10.8) USERS: In order for the disk image to mount, you must adjust your security settings - navigate to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General and select the radio button to Allow Apps Downloaded from Anywhere.
- You may change this setting back after you have completed installing drivers and adding printers, but the files will not mount or run if you do not change these settings.
- Double-click on the Run Me First icon and click through the installer to install the printer drivers to your hard drive.
- Back in the disk image, double-click the name of each printer you would like to use. This will add it to your list of available printers in the System Preferences Print & Fax pane.
- To print in color, you must specify a non-generic driver, or else your prints will come out in grayscale. (Users who installed the Mavericks/Mountain Lion/Lion Print Scripts can skip this step):
- In the System Preferences Print & Fax pane, select the name of the color printer you wish to use for the list on the left and click Options & Supplies.
- Under the Driver tab, choose Select Printer Software... from the drop-down menu.
- Select the appropriate printer model driver from the list (not the Gutenprint version) and click OK:
HP Color LaserJet 5550: APL, WPL, XML
HP Color LaserJet 4600: ATL, CML1, CML2, Reference Kiosks
HP Color LaserJet 4700: DPL1, DPL2
- Click OK again to apply your changes.
Windows 7 users have the choice to follow the steps for Windows Vista and XP or to follow these steps:
- In the address bar of a Windows explorer window, type \\tut.labops.emerson.edu and press Enter.
- Sign in with your ECnet username (by typing emerson\firstname_lastname) and password.
- Double-click on the name of the printer you would like to use.
- If prompted, click Install driver.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to add additional campus printers.
- Download the file for the printer you would like to use from the list below.
- Double-click to launch the downloaded file.
- Sign in with your Emerson username (by typing emerson\firstname_lastname) and password.
- The script will add that printer to your list of available printers.
- Choose Install driver, if prompted to do so.
- You can repeat this process to add additional campus printers.
|Lab/Kiosk||Location||Printer Model||Windows Installer|
|APL||WALK 405||HP LaserJet m603
HP Color LaserJet 5550dtn
|ATL||WALK 418||HP LaserJet m603
HP Color LaserJet CP4525dn
|CML1||WALK 634||HP LaserJet m603
HP Color LaserJet 4600n
|CML2||WALK 633||HP LaserJet p4515x
HP Color LaserJet 4600n
|CSD||UBANK 812||HP LaserJet 4200n||CSDL-BW|
|DPL1||ANSIN 809||HP Color LaserJet 4700n||DPL-Color|
|DPL2||ANSIN 703||HP Color LaserJet 4700n||DPL2-Color|
|Help Desk Kiosk||WALK 404||HP LaserJet 4350n||Helpdesk-BW|
|Library||WALK 3rd Floor||HP LaserJet p4515x
HP Color LaserJet CP4525dn
|LB Kiosk||LB 2nd Floor||HP LaserJet p4515x||LB-BW|
|Piano Row Kiosk||PROW 1st Floor||HP LaserJet p4515x||Kiosk-150-BW|
|WPL||ANSIN 312||HP LaserJet 4250n
HP Color LaserJet 5500dtn
|XML||ANSIN 111||HP LaserJet p4515x
HP Color LaserJet 5500dtn
* The APL, WPL, and XML color printers are the only laser printers that can print color duplex and on 11"x17" tabloid paper.