Purchasing a Personal Computer
In the market for a new computer? As a member of the Emerson College community, you're eligible for a discount! That includes students, staff, and faculty!
If you have any questions about a purchase, please stop by the IT Help Desk on the 4th floor of 120 Boylston, call us at 617-824-8080 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll be glad to help!
Are you an incoming student looking for a computer? Above, you will find Emerson IT's recommended minimum specifications. If you're buying a new computer, most anything will far surpass these recommendations. If you already have a computer, you may want to reference the recommended specifications to gauge your computer's estimated lifespan.
Emerson College does not favor Windows or OS X - both have advantages and disadvantages, and Emerson IT recommend that students purchase whatever system they are most comfortable using. Any software required in classroom activities is provided in Emerson's computer labs. Additionally, students should not worry about purchasing specific high-end software until they have used it in our computer labs and know specifically what they will need.
Some courses require the purchase of additional hardware, such as portable hard drives. Beyond that, Emerson IT recommends a USB flash drive for keeping your files portable. You can also use your Emerson Pages folder, or other cloud services, such as Google Drive or Dropbox.
- Any new computer will be Wi-Fi capable, but you should ensure that it supports a WPA2 Enterprise wireless connection!
- Many laptops are now coming without a built-in ethernet port. Emerson IT strongly recommends purchasing an ethernet adapter if this is the case. Usually, this will connect to either a USB or Thunderbolt port to give you an ethernet port. Having the option for ethernet is always a good thing!
- Anti-virus Software: Windows computers connecting to Emerson's network are required to have anti-virus software installed. Windows Defender is free and generally well regarded, and now comes preinstalled from Microsoft with Windows 8 and 8.1, replacing Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7. You can read more about Anti-Virus protection and maintenance at Basic Computer Maintenance »
Students, faculty, and staff of Emerson College can purchase a full range of computer products for personal use at special academic pricing several ways. Many companies offer an educational discount that you will qualify for! Emerson has dedicated storefronts with Apple and Dell, so the purchasing process is easy from them, but if you want to buy from somewhere else, just ask if they'll give you a discount!
- You can purchase directly from the Apple Store, including iPods and iPhones!
- Hardware can also be purchased in-person at physical Apple Stores with your Emerson ID
Note: The zip code for Emerson College is 02116.
- Purchase directly from Dell.